[78-L] 78 RPM Record Packaging

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jul 7 21:19:24 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Bubble wrap around the pack of discs and cardboards isn't enough to keep
> records from slipping out of the sleeves..I've had many broken records
> because
> of this, and styrofoam peanuts (which I hate, but let's not get into that
> argument for now) aren't always enough filler. They will also become
> static
> charged in transit and disintegrate and work their way inside the bubble
> wrap
> and into the record sleeves, using your method.
> A pile of records and cardboards should be wrapped inside newspaper or
> plastic
> wrap (available from office supply companies, the same stuff movers use to
> secure drawers in dressers etc) and sealed with tape so discs can't get
> out and
> styrofoam, excelsior, shredded paper etc. can't get in. I can't stress
> this
> enough, having dealt with good packing and bad packing from professional
> and
> amateur dealers for many years.
> Another point: if you have different sized records, make two bundles if
> possible. Otherwise, never pack the smaller records between the larger
> ones.
> This often results in a broken twelve-incher or two.

This last is VERY important! DO NOT mix record sizes in the taped-
together stacks of records!

And one other important suggestion!

After packing the box or records, tape EVERY place where two planes
meet (top, bottom, sides, usw.) with that super-strong tape with the
fibers in it! Ordinary tape...paper or plastic...will NOT survive the
abuse to which postal systems will submit it! I have received MANY
boxes which left their "home" in one piece...but arrived having been
re-taped back together! Fortunately, virtually all of them arrived
with the original contents...!

...stevenc