[78-L] 78 RPM Record Packaging

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 7 19:47:51 PDT 2009

Bubble wrap around the pack of discs and cardboards isn't enough to keep
records from slipping out of the sleeves..I've had many broken records because
of this, and styrofoam peanuts (which I hate, but let's not get into that
argument for now) aren't always enough filler. They will also become static
charged in transit and disintegrate and work their way inside the bubble wrap
and into the record sleeves, using your method.

A pile of records and cardboards should be wrapped inside newspaper or plastic
wrap (available from office supply companies, the same stuff movers use to
secure drawers in dressers etc) and sealed with tape so discs can't get out and
styrofoam, excelsior, shredded paper etc. can't get in. I can't stress this
enough, having dealt with good packing and bad packing from professional and
amateur dealers for many years.

Another point: if you have different sized records, make two bundles if
possible. Otherwise, never pack the smaller records between the larger ones.
This often results in a broken twelve-incher or two.

No comment on retrieving used cardboards from the dumpster....

dl