[78-L] Large University Throwing away records?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jul 6 22:31:11 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> In the thread "Label Info. Query Answered" we were led to an article
> about discographic author Geoff Wheeler
> http://www.clnonline.com/katescollage.html  Considering what we have
> been talking about in this thread, you should read what Geoff has to
> say:
>> I haven’t used a library or institutional archive in years. If I
>> need help with something, I generally contact another collector.
>> Collectors have the recordings and the documents.
>
>> "Virtually every institution that has a collection of jazz records,
>> books, magazines, etc. has acquired its inventory from private
>> collectors, such as me. This is true for the U.S. Library of Congress.
>
>> "Working with libraries and institutional collections is generally a
>> pain, frequently requiring an advance letter of interest, citing
>> research materials desired. You then need to make an appointment.
>> Getting the materials is very time consuming. One can spend days
>> at an institution, a lot of it just waiting for materials to be
>> brought to you. There are also stringent security procedures to
>> follow. Sometimes the only things one can bring into a library
>> is a standard yellow pad and a writing instrument. Because of this,
>> I would never give or sell any part of my collection to a library
>> or archive. The best stewards of such materials are other collectors.
>> They live with them, know and understand them, and know how to respect
>> them."
>
> But what happens when the collectors Geoff has contact with die?  Over
> the past decades I have been a champion of archive and institutional
> collections, knowing that theoretically they are more permanent than
> private collections which can disappear -- as has been discussed in
> other threads this week.  While I am not worried about the major
> governmental institutional archives, I AM worried when considering the
> LIBRARIES of educational institutions.  Considering the disposal
> policies that we have always encountered but thought (incorrectly) were
> at an end, the discussion I mentioned that was on ARSCList last week,
> the occasional obtuse changes of management (such as seems to be
> happening in Syracuse), and the retirements and pending retirements of
> those who are truely knowledgable, I am starting to worry.
>
> At ARSC we were given a very impressive presentation of the donation and
> digitization of a major West Coast American Folk Music collection at
> UCLA.  During the Q&A I reminded them (and informed the generally
> younger audience who had never known) that they were the institution
> that closed down and sold off the even more impressive Jonathan Edwards
> Memorial Foundation country archive.  Can we trust them???????  We
> couldn't before.  When an educational institution say that this
> collection will be an important resource for their students and
> curricula, DON'T BELIEVE THEM.  The kids aren't interested.  Only
> [...]
As well, universities in the US serve as the "minor leagues" for just about
EVERY sport (except baseball?!)...the alumni contributors expect their
alma maters to WIN...and base their support on that athletic success!!
Worse yet, these schools are NOT places where one can go to LEARN...?!
Even if they were, most of their student body is only there in hopes of
getting an impressive job and paycheque...usually with the minimum
possible effort on their part (and to party as heartily as possible while
there!!)!

...stevenc