[78-L] Large University Throwing away records?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 6 21:38:38 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> In the thread "Label Info. Query Answered" we were led to an article
> about discographic author Geoff Wheeler
> http://www.clnonline.com/katescollage.html  Considering what we have
> been talking about in this thread, you should read what Geoff has to
> say:
>
>> I generally contact another collector.
>> Collectors have the recordings and the documents.

> But what happens when the collectors Geoff has contact with die?

I've faced the same situation many times..in the early 90s I borrowed from a
number of collectors who were glad to share the music. Would that I'd had the
time (and the sense) to make flat transfers of everything available to me at
that time, since many of those collectors died and their collections went to
the four winds.

I've also lost access to a couple of institutional collections over the years,
although that has been an issue of staffing and gaining access. The University
of Toronto still has a ton of 78s in the basement of the Robarts Library but
there hasn't been a full-time person in that library for several years. Similar
situations with a couple of other collections where theoretically I have access
but have to go through flaming hoops to get anything.