[78-L] Large University Throwing away records?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jul 6 21:27:53 PDT 2009

In the thread "Label Info. Query Answered" we were led to an article
about discographic author Geoff Wheeler
http://www.clnonline.com/katescollage.html  Considering what we have
been talking about in this thread, you should read what Geoff has to
say:

> I haven’t used a library or institutional archive in years. If I
> need help with something, I generally contact another collector.
> Collectors have the recordings and the documents.

> "Virtually every institution that has a collection of jazz records,
> books, magazines, etc. has acquired its inventory from private
> collectors, such as me. This is true for the U.S. Library of Congress.

> "Working with libraries and institutional collections is generally a
> pain, frequently requiring an advance letter of interest, citing
> research materials desired. You then need to make an appointment.
> Getting the materials is very time consuming. One can spend days
> at an institution, a lot of it just waiting for materials to be
> brought to you. There are also stringent security procedures to
> follow. Sometimes the only things one can bring into a library
> is a standard yellow pad and a writing instrument. Because of this,
> I would never give or sell any part of my collection to a library
> or archive. The best stewards of such materials are other collectors.
> They live with them, know and understand them, and know how to respect them."

But what happens when the collectors Geoff has contact with die?  Over
the past decades I have been a champion of archive and institutional
collections, knowing that theoretically they are more permanent than
private collections which can disappear -- as has been discussed in
other threads this week.  While I am not worried about the major
governmental institutional archives, I AM worried when considering the
LIBRARIES of educational institutions.  Considering the disposal
policies that we have always encountered but thought (incorrectly) were
at an end, the discussion I mentioned that was on ARSCList last week,
the occasional obtuse changes of management (such as seems to be
happening in Syracuse), and the retirements and pending retirements of
those who are truely knowledgable, I am starting to worry.

At ARSC we were given a very impressive presentation of the donation and
digitization of a major West Coast American Folk Music collection at
UCLA.  During the Q&A I reminded them (and informed the generally
younger audience who had never known) that they were the institution
that closed down and sold off the even more impressive Jonathan Edwards
Memorial Foundation country archive.  Can we trust them???????  We
couldn't before.  When an educational institution say that this
collection will be an important resource for their students and
curricula, DON'T BELIEVE THEM.  The kids aren't interested.  Only
outside researchers are, and most universities don't give a diddly-damn
about outside researchers.  If you can establish a relationship with a
curator, you are in luck -- until that curator falls victim to the
obtuse idiots who run the administration of every college and university
in the U.S.  Universities are not run by academics and researchers, they
are run by FUND RAISERS who are money whor*s.  I've seen how they
operate for the past 45 years.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com