[78-L] Non-Transcription OTR on 78 (was Decca Specialty Series (DAU-x))

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 5 09:57:47 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> By the way, the "Sorry Wrong Number" album has no cast info,
>
> Anyway, in the U.S. most dramatic radio programs did not announce the
> names of the cast!

Mainly because the same actors were doing most of the anthology series. It's
always great when some of these folks like Herb Vigran and Lurene Tuttle turn
up on television shows and get their long-delayed credits. (We watched a Dick
van Dyke the other night and lo and behold, Doodles Weaver and Patsy Kelly were
in it. Off topic.)

> The Suspense broadcasts of this play only identify
> Agnes Moorehead, so there is often more of a quest for the cast names
> for OTR broadcasts than for the records.
>
>> just a blank inside liner..they wouldn't have been printing booklets
>> that late except for major productions. dl
>
> Wouldn't this have been considered a major production?  The LP had liner
> notes and I would think that there would have been a booklet for this
> set, but I think the company had become lax in providing them.  We
> certainly know that buyers were lax in keeping the booklets!  But every
> once in a while I come across a booklet that I had never thought
> existed.

Major productions like "Lost in the Stars", I meant. I haven't seen the Sorry
wrong Number LP except once years ago..James Mason doing some Poe on the
reverse, no? Decca albums usually had a printed inside liner by the late 40s,
as does the Ethel Merman album in my last post (which IS marked as A-681 on the
labels but is still manual sequence).