[78-L] label Info.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jul 3 20:39:06 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> And Columbia added new run-out grooves over top of the old ones on brand
> new
> issues if they didn't think the groove ended close enough to the label.
> Look at
> all those late 30s (into 1940 I think) LA recordings.

Columbia's usual problem was that their 78 masters (Columbia and Okeh) were
too large to fit on their later (1939-onward) 78's, necessitating dubbed
sides on
reissues! As well, (RCA) Victor dubbed virtually ALL their reissues of 78rpm
material...apparently to allow the inclusion of run-in and run-out grooving
amenable to "record changers!"