[78-L] Color coded Columbia covers

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jul 2 12:48:16 PDT 2009

The first pop music stand covers were pink, and I am trying to remember
if I have seen a pink classical cover in the later cardboard style.  I
do know I have some of the cardboard classical covers in pale yellow.  I
have a JL kids record with a green cover in cardboard, and I don't
remember if I have one in paper.  The Canadian copies were sometimes
different colors.

The year color-changes is an interesting theory, but I am trying to
consider if Columbia still made any of this type covers past 1949.  It
would be an interesting exercise to see when the early releases were
deleted and which ones got new covers before deletion.  A similar
exercise could be done on RCA Camden albums which got new covers when
the rules were changed to allow for the use of real performer
identities.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com