[78-L] Color coded Columbia covers

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 2 13:39:55 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> The first pop music stand covers were pink, and I am trying to remember
> if I have seen a pink classical cover in the later cardboard style.

Le Boeuf Sur Le Toit, cardboard, pink, US pressing.

> I do know I have some of the cardboard classical covers in pale yellow.  I
> have a JL kids record with a green cover in cardboard, and I don't
> remember if I have one in paper.  The Canadian copies were sometimes
> different colors.

Canada may not have changed the covers any more than necessary, which is why
I'm not citing Canadian covers..they kept the "card" style jacket into 1951 or '52.

> The year color-changes is an interesting theory, but I am trying to
> consider if Columbia still made any of this type covers past 1949.  It
> would be an interesting exercise to see when the early releases were
> deleted and which ones got new covers before deletion.  A similar
> exercise could be done on RCA Camden albums which got new covers when
> the rules were changed to allow for the use of real performer
> identities.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Columbia also used odd forms, like a piece of cardboard with a piece of paper
glued to it, and THAT was supposed to house the record. Plus of course the
paper sleeves on the first albums.

I'm sure I have a few red label discs in blue jackets..just have to check on
whether they're US or Canadian.

dl