[78-L] label Info.

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 3 12:18:34 PDT 2009

And Columbia added new run-out grooves over top of the old ones on brand new
issues if they didn't think the groove ended close enough to the label. Look at
all those late 30s (into 1940 I think) LA recordings.

The reverse stop-groove situation happens on German pressings of US Deccas in
the 30s (maybe on Brunswicks as well) where they added a deep non-concentric
"you vill stop" groove cutting through the original.

I've seen evidence that run-out grooves were not cut in the original masters.
Some Brunswick pressings of Polydor masters have no run-out while the Polydors
do, and I have two similar-era pressings of a Raymond Scott disc that appear to
be from the same master but have different run-outs and no evidence of one
being filled in.

dl