[78-L] Introduction (a bit long)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 30 07:59:02 PDT 2009

Bart wrote:

> How bad did the words have to be in the thirties?  George Carlin's
> famous seven?

Some of those words are known to exist on privately circulated recordings (even
on the notorious cylinders reissued on "Actionable Offenses" on Archeophone)
but party records were primarily double entendre in the 30s and 40s. "He sh*ts
himself" is heard in the Crepitation Contest, and that wasn't intended for
commercial issue when it was made..who knew it would go on to be the most
bootlegged party record of all time? Lots of references in song and skit to
"doing it", plus ingenious ways of almost saying the words (as in Sweet Violets
and Shaving Cream) or covering them with a sound effect (We're Very Fussy On
The Radio).

> "Offspring Deluxe" ends with this rhyme:
>
> Now I know I'll never be a pillar of this great nation,
> And I don't expect to ever be fabulously rich,
> But I'd far rather be a fascinating bastard
> Than a legitimate (whispered) son of a bitch!

That was about as far as they dared to go in commercial recordings. Although
there's the famous "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" by Hoagy Carmichael, where some
refuse to admit that Joe Venuti clearly sings "Barnacle Bill The Sh*thead"
throughout the second verse.