[78-L] Introduction (a bit long)

Bart garioch at texas.net
Tue Jun 30 08:25:34 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> Bart wrote:
>
>> "Offspring Deluxe" ends with this rhyme:
>>
>> Now I know I'll never be a pillar of this great nation,
>> And I don't expect to ever be fabulously rich,
>> But I'd far rather be a fascinating bastard
>> Than a legitimate (whispered) son of a bitch!
>>

> That was about as far as they dared to go in commercial recordings. Although
> there's the famous "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" by Hoagy Carmichael, where some
> refuse to admit that Joe Venuti clearly sings "Barnacle Bill The Sh*thead"
> throughout the second verse.
>
> dl

I had to play that one through and listen.  I had never noticed that
before!  But it seems pretty clear now that you've mentioned it.
Listening through headphones helps.  I'm probably one of the few who
listens to their computer through headphones (cheap ones - and not "ear
buds" - but with fidelity adequate for your average Blue Amberol's
frequency response).  Just courtesy to my wife whose interest in early
music isn't lacking but is nowhere near as continuous as mine.  And to
spare her endless reiterations of a tune when I'm playing with MIDI
composition.

Bart