[78-L] Grayson and Whitter "Going Down Lee Highway" with Bill Broonzy Composer Credit

Richard Blaustein rjblaustein at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 05:28:12 PDT 2009

Many thanks to Gregg Kimball for his answer to my query re: Going Down Lee
Highway.

Selection:     Going Down Lee Highway
Artist:    G.B.Grayson & Henry Whitter
Composer:    Bill Broonzy (label)
Date Recorded:    09/30/29
Recording Label:    Victor
Catalog Number:    vi23565
Matrix 1:    56313=1
XRef 1:    bb5498
Source File:    http://honkingduck.com/fix/victor23000series.html
(Source: Online Discography Project)

Joe Wilson got the story about G.B. Grayson composing Going Down  Lee
Highway in the back of a car
riding down the Lee  Highway on the way to a recording session in Memphis
from a recorded interview with one of Grayson's children.

In the early 1970s one of my early students at East Tennessee State
University, Jim Meadows,  videotaped an interview
with his mother, one of G.B.'s daughters, who told him a  similar story with
a slight variation: Grayson was riding in the back of a car driving down
the Lee Highway coming back from a fiddle contest when he made up this
tune.

After all these years, it is impossible to tell where the truth lies.
Memories become confused, stories run together,
and what started out as family history becomes family legend and mythology.
This is how folklore develops, after all.

What makes this story even more complicated and interesting is the fact that
fiddler Jimmy McCarroll and his Roane County Ramblers from east of Knoxville
recorded an almost identical fiddle tune, "Home Town Blues," issued a year
before Grayson and Whitter's "Going Down Lee Highway":

Selection:    Home Town Blues
Artist:    Roane County Ramblers