[78-L] Grayson and Whitter "Going Down Lee Highway" with BillBroonzy Composer Credit

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Sat Jun 27 19:09:41 PDT 2009

Joe Wilson's liner notes to County 3517, "The Recordings of Grayson and
Whitter," state that "He [Grayson] composed Going Down the Lee Highway in
September 1929 as Whitter's Model T chugged down U.S. Route 11 in northeast
Tennessee (known locally as Lee Highway) on the way to a Memphis recording
session." Indeed, Tony Russell shows the tune recorded on September 30,
1929, in Memphis (their last recording session), matrix # 56313-1.

I still love driving down sections of the old Lee Highway here in Virginia.

Gregg Kimball