[78-L] Talking string

Glen Richards glenster at 2multiples.com
Sat Jun 27 12:14:39 PDT 2009

Bud Black wrote:
> In the admittedly dark ages when I was a child, I can remember an
> interesting toy that could be purchased at the local five and dime.
> It was a small, round box with a long piece of string running through
> it, and if you pulled the string though the box while pressing it to
> anything servicing as a soundboard (your school desk was perfect) it
> would speak a popular phrase of the day.  Mine said, "Hello,
> sweetheart."  My pal had one that said "Wanna Buy A Duck?"  My
> question is....was the sound on the string, or did the string turn a
> miniature phonograph inside the unit?  Has anyone ever heard of this
> mailing list 78-L at klickitat.78online.com

FWIW, I remember large balloons with a plastic "string" that had a
spoken phrase molded into it like speed bumps or "wake up strips" on the
road. You'd run your thumb nail down the "string" at an appropriate
speed and you'd hear the phrase - the balloon acted as a resonator! Have
you seen the car ad on TV where the guys are driving on the warning
strips, listening to a recognizable tune played by the tires? Yeah,
something like that... :)

Glen