[78-L] Talking string

Bud Black banjobud at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jun 27 11:57:46 PDT 2009

In the admittedly dark ages when I was a child, I can remember an interesting toy that could be purchased at the local five and dime.  It was a small, round box with a long piece of string running through it, and if you pulled the string though the box while pressing it to anything servicing as a soundboard (your school desk was perfect) it would speak a popular phrase of the day.  Mine said, "Hello, sweetheart."  My pal had one that said "Wanna Buy A Duck?"  My question is....was the sound on the string, or did the string turn a miniature phonograph inside the unit?  Has anyone ever heard of this forgotten toy?