[78-L] Blue wax vs. "plastic"?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Jun 15 17:17:33 PDT 2009

Hey Mike,

No,  my Pendarvis in question has the inner pressing ring,  no lead-in
groove.with a very fine-line "MS - 1491" and "1492" in the lead-out.   It
was part of a run of MacGregors which a collector friend of mine bought some
30 years ago of Pendarvis and Weeks. .    All the others were the more
conventional pressings.  My guess is that this was some kind of 1935 freak
or experiment.  Whatever the story,  it plays very very well.

Since my friend had no use for Pendarvis (and in fact was baffled by my
enthusiasm for the band) he sold them to me at his cost right after he
bought them.  Sadly,  he passed away suddenly about 12 years ago (in his
40s)  and at that time his sister sold me some of his records,  including
the Weeks MacGregors.

Besides my favored  Pendarvis,  Weeks and Henry Kings,  I imagine I have an
additional  hundred or so on MacGregor/MacGregor & Solie but have never
encountered another pressing like this "turquoise plastic" one.

BTW the record store where my friend  bought the MacGregors back around 1978
or so was on Market Street in San Francisco, and was called the Twentieth
Century Talking Machine Company.  I don't think they were even open for more
than a couple of years,  but my friend sure scored a lot of good stuff from
them while they were around.

Taylor