[78-L] Blue wax vs. "plastic"?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jun 15 15:31:06 PDT 2009

I have a couple of pressings like this, but the one I remember has no
labels and has Columbia-style matrix numbering and the turquoise plastic
seems almost like styrene.  I had figured it was post-war
experimentation, and wouldn't there be a possibility that your McGregor
was a post war re-pressing?  During the laminated years, Allied
continued to use the small-diameter ring in the label area that denotes
its Columbia heritage (Allied was the Hollywood Columbia pressing plant
that had been bought by the employees when Columbia was going to close
it.)  My label-less pressing has the stamper-mounting ring near the rim
of the label area like later Columbia pressings.  Is that the same with
your McGregor?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com