[78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

I. Cubillo i.cubillo at telefonica.net
Mon Jun 15 16:17:23 PDT 2009

My holy grail?
Probably a Sarasate violin record i found on the floor, flea market, sunday
morning, and bought for a mere 3 euros (4$), double faced spanish HMV issue.

ah-haaa! The famous Sam Wooding sides recorded in Barcelona in 1929 by
spanish Parlophon...!!! I found one of them five years ago, and another two
last year. Those Parlophons are rare, as long as Parlophon in Spain only
operated for five years (1928 to 1934). The records, nevertheless, are far
from good shape, with some cracks and a V+/V condition. They were recorded
somewhat overmodulated, and with a strong deep echo that greys the grooves
very fast. Pity, as the Parlophon recording engineers in the 1928-1931 era
were among the best ones. Specially one man, that signed waxes with a
capital J, recorded music as many modern sound engineers would like to be
able to...  What a sound!

But the Woodings are terrible... and they were strongly played in acoustic
gramophones, probably with worn out needles, figure out!

Another Holys... the Casals NY Columbias recorded in the early teens, that
were signed in the wax.

And the Conchita Supervia records of Falla songs, with the author playing
the piano accompaniment.

Sure I have half a dozen more Grails, but maybe not so valuable for the US
market.

Probably Nauck would put a nice price to many of my records if they were
listed in one of his auction catalogues...

Iñigo Cubillo