[78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Jun 13 22:41:28 PDT 2009

Congratulations,  Dennis.  It doesn't matter what you paid for it...when you
have an opportunity to grab something you're pretty sure you might not see
again for many moons,  then just go for it,  if you can afford it (and keep
the news from the Mrs.!).

I've never just happened upon some record treasure like that,  but get the
same feeling when one of my "most wanted' turns up on a list or on eBay.

I once paid $600 for a copy of the Jose Ferrer and the Pied Pipers 1932
record of Sweet Georgia Brown...have never regretted it and have never seen
as nice a copy offered since.  Was the price "too much"?  I'm sure some
would argue that it was,  but who cares?    I paid more than that for the
little blue Flexo record of sax player Larry Tice (Goldkette Orch)  from
1928 of a few guys jamming on some tune and then Larry wishing you a Merry
Christmas for 1928.  Don't imagine I'll see that one again,  and if I do,
it won't be for sale!

Taylor B