[78-L] Mystery dance bands

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Jun 13 23:01:08 PDT 2009

Yes,  I am "The Great Taylor,  Man of Mystery Dance Bands."

So today I am confused about two...

1.  American Record Corporation For Theater Use  #F-237. "Ed Loyd and his
Orchestra."  Louisiana Hayride/same.

The more of these ARC Theater records I hear,  the more confuseder I get.  I
thought at first that they were all just non-vocal takes of the standard
sides issued on the commercial ARC labels,  but I was quickly disabused of
that idea when several of them turned up which are nothing at all like the
commercial sides of the same tunes...or even by the same bands.

And this one is really vexing cuz I don't see any ARC dance band version of
the tune in Rust,  AND the band on this record just does not sound like any
of the usual ARC studio groups of the sort as issued by Young,  Causer,
Bullock,  Kardos,  Osborne,  Martin, etc. etc.  Some excellent solo work,
and I can't place any of them either...anyone have this thing and have any
idea about the band or the soloists?

2.  Clarion  5192-C.  "Lloyd Keating and his Orchestra."  Your're the One I
Care For / GGO. One Sweet Kiss.   Both sides are odd.  Rust hints that this
Keating side might be an Albin but it sure doesn't sound like it to my ears,
and certainly not any of the other usual suspects such as Lanin,  Rich,
Selvin.  And the Golden Gate side is also odd,  as it has a large (four?)
string section,  which I don't recall hearing on a Kirkeby/GGO/Ramblers side
before.

Anyone have or has heard this one and has some ideas?  Nice Jack Miller
vocal on the first side.

Thanks from

Taylor