[78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

krabgrass at aol.com krabgrass at aol.com
Sat Jun 13 22:15:46 PDT 2009

For a country music collector, the legend of Hank Williams and the Sterling sides seems like something

you'll probably never see, nor own. But it remains coveted. Today, I stopped into Golden Oldies

in Tacoma, WA, operated by a music loving Northwesterner, Jeff Miller. While there, a fellow he knew

walked in and said he had a few acetates of his early 1960's band, and a couple of 78's. One, an Al

Jolson, and the other Sterling 201, in V+ or better shape. There it was, Hank Williams and the record

I've know about, but never seen. Anyway, the result is I spent more money on a single record than my

wife will ever know, and I now have the record. Just wanted to bask in that it was a hell of a day

feeling for a little longer. Have any of you stumbled upon your Holy Grail record in such a casual way?

Dennis Flannigan,