[78-L] Maloof

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Wed Jun 10 17:39:40 PDT 2009

Hi Dave.

I don't know of any published bio on him.  There may be something in the booklet notes from Rounder's cd Music of the Arabic-Americans.

The latest recording I have seen by him was his budget label soundtrack - his composition, I think - for Lawrence of Arabia.  This lp turns up on ebay from time to time.

I think the Maloof and Macksoud labels both used Gennett for pressing during the 1920s.  Mr. Maloof recorded for Victor in 1913 and 1926.  He published various folios of his compositions - mostly crossover stuff, I think - and also made piano rolls.  I had one or two of these that were supposed to be part of a trade, but the guy in California I sent these to maybe 20 years ago never reciprocated (with Belasco or Merrick West Indian rolls).  I never did get to play those rolls before I mailed them off, but I have enough of his records that I probably get the idea of what they sound like.

During the 1920s, Mr. Maloof had a store around or on Washington Street in Manhattan.  Also a store in Brooklyn.   He issued a lot of great material on his Maloof label, the best of which to my ear were covers of songs from the Middle East.

The Spottswood discography has him making a skating rink record for Gennett.  I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing that one.  If you have it, I'd appreciate a report on how the music sounds.

Good seeing you at ARSC last month./steve