[78-L] Composers who steal

Bud Black banjobud at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 8 13:16:41 PDT 2009

Irving Berlin, arguably the greatest composer of the popular song, stole
from himself rather frequently.  Note that his 1916 song "Smile And Show
Your Dimple," in 1933 became "Easter Parade."  A line in Al Jolson's song
To My Mammy" stated, "How much does she love me?  I'll tell you no lie.  How
deep is the ocean, how high is the sky?"  Listen to the verse of his "Just A
Little Longer" and then listen to the verse of "To My Mammy."  In the movie
White Christmas" Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye and Rosie Clooney sing a song
called "Snow" which was a re-working of an earlier Berlin tune called "Free.

Bud