[78-L] Polkas eliminated as a Grammy category

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jun 6 20:34:23 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> The category will survive a long time because "blues" has already been
> redefined into a musical form that bears little resemblance to
> traditional blues that we hear on old 78s.  Same with "jazz" which has
> morphed so many times that it is no longer what I would listen to.

"Jazz"...even among "jazz fans"...has evolved into a sort of "one size
fits all" category...which now includes everything from "dixieland"
(which I happen to enjoy!!) up to and including "avant garde" (which
I find TOTALLY incomprehensible...it seems to have been loosely
based on the fact that "jazz" did away with playing written-down
melodies...so why not do away with EVERYTHING predictable
in the genre...harmonies, set time, key, usw....?!)

And ALL the players claim they are the ONLY folks actually
playing REAL (?!) "jazz?!

HUH?!?!

...stevenc