[78-L] Apex 662

Glen Richards glenster at 2multiples.com
Sat May 16 12:55:55 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> But seriously (that'll be the day), this side had wide circulation as a
> giveaway record pressed by Compo and with a children's story on the reverse, in
> French and English versions. No particular connection with paint, but it was
> handed out by the Sherwin Williams folks..maybe there was a campaign urging
> people to paint because it was Springtime. You'll find a few links listing it
> as the Sherman Williams Orchestra because folks can't read.
>
> dl

I had this disk, and I too have have called it the "Sherman Williams
Orchestra", and I *can* read and I *know better*!

I'm simply an idiot. (Well, duh!)

Anyway, in digging around for info on this thing, I noticed that the
master number (31030-2) fits nicely within the Victor matrices from
1924, the closest Victor-issued master being one by Ted Weems, IIRC.
Could it be a Victor master that was pressed by Compo? It's most likely
a co-winky-dink, but I thought I'd ask (because I'm a moron :) ). BTW,
my copy has a label number of 668-A, and no info about the manufacturer
or where it was pressed.

Glen

(away from home and my collection notes)