[78-L] Charles label 78

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue May 12 20:15:58 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <Dnjchi at aol.com>
>I picked up a Charles disc of late '40s (?), obviously a Columbia
> pressing.  Full info:
> Charles New York 22, C-711
>
> April Fool, Peggy Anne Ellis, orch cond. by Glenn Osser (P 47518)
>
> Navy-Blue Blues, Peggy Anne Ellis, orch Glenn Osser (P 47519)
>
> Anyone have any info on this?

The "P" prefix on the matrix numbers suggest they were cut as "Private"
or "Personal" recordings...meaning that Ms. Ellis simply thought she could
sell the resulting disc for profit...or use it to start her "musical
career!"

It wouldn't be much longer until there were innumerable recording
studios; in fact, many didn't even provide record-pressing services...?!

So the question becomes "WHO was "Charles?!" Or Mr./Ms. Charles...?!

...stevenc