[78-L] cleaning and digitizing 78s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue May 12 02:30:04 PDT 2009

I would recommend for information on cleaning for you to look at
http://discdoc.com/  especially since you say that the records are not
in very good condition.  I would also suggest you looking into a Keith
Monks record cleaning machine.

I also agree that you check with IASA  www.IASA-web.org  and ARSC (it is
not IARSC) at http://ARSC-Audio.org , but even more important is for you
to join the important organization in your part of the world, SEAPAVAA,
SouthEast Asia-Pacific AudioVisual Archives Association.
http://www.seapavaa.org/  Unfortunately their annual conference starts
in TWO DAYS in Indonesia!!!!  I'm looking at the pictures of last years
conference right now and I see a couple of friends of mine and two of my
former students from Thailand who went to my university in Kentucky,
Morehead State University.  Oh my goodness, I just noticed that one of
them is now the President of the association!!!!!!!  She is TUENJAI
SINTHUVNIK, who we called Lek.  My other student is Kannika Chivapakdee
who is chair of the Collection, Promotion and Access Committee.  Contact
them next week when they have gotten home to Bangcock from the
conference.  Mention my name and I am sure they will bend over backwards
to help you out!!  I last saw them at the IASA Singapore conference in
2000.  I am sure they can also put you in touch with the other archives
in Taiwan.

Good luck in setting up your digital archive.  It will be a valuable
resource.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com