[78-L] Columbia Laughing Record

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon May 11 21:04:53 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> The laughing record I have on Columbia is called "The Spoiled Cornet
> Solo" and is on the green label E series but is a gold band label, not a
> flag.  I am not near it so I can't tell you if it is the same recording
> as Dave's.
> From: "I. Cubillo" <i.cubillo at telefonica.net>
>> As per Abrams database, we've got this:
>> RISE SENASTION LAUGHING RECORD
>> 88778 E-7796 - - 10/??/22 =
>> No notice of the other side.
>> Iñigo Cubillo
> From: "David Weiner" <djwein at earthlink.net>
>> Can anyone give me a recording date for the Columbia Laughing Record?
>> Just
>> got a nice copy on a early-20s green-label Flag design - this is a
>> foreign
>> series, E-7796, I think, though it's an American pressing. Matrix is
>> 88788-5. Flip is "Sicilian Roses" by the Instrumental Dance Sextette
>> (well, that certainly tells us who the artist is!), matrix 88742, no take
>> designation.   Thanks,   Dave W.

Okeh (Columbia, actually!!)...the Columbia "E-" series was used for issuing
"ethnic" records! At first, this was a "catch-all" series...NOT grouped by
language; it used its own matrix series (the ledgers of which were destroyed
long ago!). When Columbia switched to "suffix" catalog numbers (1923),
they used separate series for each ethnic group, ending in "-F" in each
case...these series continued well into the "red label" era so that MANY
polka records had -F (12* IIRC) catalog numbers. Most of these were
recorded in the US, where immigrants provided both the talent roster
and the market...!

BTW, Okeh also pressed "ethnic" 78's...almost all appeared under
the "Odeon" brand!

...stevenc