[78-L] Re; Ancient Japanese record...help!

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 11:14:48 PDT 2009

Some time ago I bought a one-sided Japanese record...the label says "The
American Record.  Japanese Song with Samsen.  2001.  The Japan American
Phonograph Mfg. Co. Ltd."

The rest of the label is in Japanese.  I haven't listened to a lot of really
old Japanese records (Tokyo Boogie-Woogie is more my usual era) but this
thing totally blew me away.  I don't know how else to describe it except to
say that it sounds like a Japanese version of country blues with guitar.
The singer seems to be a sort of raw-voiced woman and she uses two voices on
the record,  as if she's having a musical conversation.  It is great
music...I am so glad I took a chance on the thing for a few bucks.

Can anyone give me any info on the label,  issue date,  etc. or (now I'm
pushing my luck) any info on the artist and/or song?   The thing looks
ancient...a very somber black label with gold printing,  and an eagle device
near the center hole.  Just from the look of it I would guess around 1910.
Is there a web site in English which talks about Japanese 78s?  Are there
any records of Western-style dance bands in  Japan,  pre-WW2?

Thanks for any help or info.

Taylor B

   Your post brings up a good point. In dealing with Asian records, other than issued for US G.I.s it is important to have a good picture of the label posted for someone to look at. That way it can be read. Many Ebay sellers will post a Japanese record without a picture of the label, but with a description of “I can’t read Japanese so I can’t give you any information”. They wonder why no one bids on it.

Ken