[78-L] Abrams File was Rigler-Deutsch index

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed May 6 20:19:48 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Stern" <sternth at attglobal.net>
> Is there a version of the Abrams File online?

There WAS...it was downloadable at Ron Fial's 78Online.com web site!
I'm not sure if it is still there...?! Ty Settlemier's online discographic
is
based on HTML-ized versions of Abrams' data along with other
similar HTML compilations...!

>>From querying worldcat it appears that quite a few classical, and
> other labels, not in 78discography, were included in Rigler-Deutsch and
> ARE included in worldcat, though with many errors.  I find worldcat
> tedious
> to use
> - I haven't found the way to limit search to record label....
>
> My recollection of Rigler Deutsch is that it was intended as a "union
> catalog"
> of sound recordings in the collections of participating institutions -
> don't
> remember
> if private collector collections were included.

No...they weren't! It was a compilation of the catalogs of a few MAJOR
library-held collections. Its "achilles' heel" was the fact it was
originally
compiled by a part-time staff with NO discographic knowledge or
experience, working from photographs of record labels...one can WELL
imagine the results...?! It was intended to be a list of readily-available
library-owned phonorecords...?!

> We certainly need a good online universal discography - everything from
> tinfoil
> to cd and whatever is next.  It would be nice to have images of labels,
> album/jacket,
> notes, etc. also included.
>
> Steve, how much of your collection has been added to 78discography?

"78discography" my CommunityZero operation (this is no longer kept up
since CommunityZero became "pay to play!")...or "78 discography" as a
concept? I am currently trying to enter the label + number data on EACH
78 in EVERY milk box in my shellac archive...however, it takes about a
day per milk box (about 130 78's) to do this...! It is a "slow but sure"
sort of project...!

...stevenc