[78-L] Lost Chords vs. different genes

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 13 08:54:31 PDT 2009

I am given to understand that Burns undertook "Jazz' partly in response to some activists' unhappiness with what they felt was too little exposition of blacks' roles in Civil War history, in his documentary on that subject. He admitted at the outset of production for "Jazz" that he was not as personally astute about it as some of his other subjects, and thus depended more heavily on the advisors to help shape his narrative. He has also received similar criticism for his relatively scant inclusion of Native American history in his previous projects "Lewis & Clark" and "The West".

Rather than expound on the ways that Burns sometimes reveals a conciousness common in those whose notions were shaped by their distance from the everyday interactions of their subjects, one can pick up on Cary's point about the music's history being an older, more complex process than the label "jazz" permits. Musical ripoff seems to belong mostly in the category of ECONOMIC history. For me, the larger story of racial aspects in American MUSICAL history is the crossover of instruments and techniques, wherein European derived instrumentation and harmony was taken to wonderful new places by African-Americans, and African instruments and polyrhythms were developed in new ways by white musicians. The group with the most valid grievance about cultural devaluation are Native Americans, where apart from Don Pullen and a few others, precious few top modern jazzmen have made serious efforts at exploration (and not just modal pseudo-explorations).

Warren