[78-L] Lost Chords vs. different genes

soundthink at aol.com soundthink at aol.com
Mon Apr 13 08:04:56 PDT 2009

Exactly my thoughts. I never suggested that jazz was primarily an invention of whites. That would be as ridiculous as what Marsalis et. al. claimed. What I was saying is that Burns laid ALL of the credit on blacks for initiating and developing jazz, while white musicians followed along like obedient puppies, ripping them off, and reaping the greater financial rewards. If you go back to ragtime (which you must, in order to grasp the history accurately), you will see black and white ragtime songwriters together. Music dissemination in America is much too complex to say anything categorically, but Burns thought that would make a better story. The worst kind of historian is the one who has a theory and goes out to prove it, rather than make the facts dictate the history. Burns has done some remarkable work, but I think he was out of his league when he did "Jazz" and let Marsalis, Crouch, and Murray lead him in the myopic direction they have perpetuated in their teachings.

Incidentally, I went to see Burns give an address in Thousand Oaks last month. The subject of "Jazz" never came up, but I found him to be intelligent, insightful, open to alternate viewpoints, and possessing of a good sense of humor. So, hopefully, by now he realizes that he was misled, but without speaking to this subject specifically, I could not tell.

Cary Ginell