[78-L] Need to Identify two Acoustic Classical Records

Christopher Steward chris.1picc at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 11 03:03:47 PDT 2009

This was not uncommon with those early Columbias. There were many remade acoustically with the same artists (or, in the case of Henry Wood, His Symphony Orchestra became QHO), and a number with different ones; in this second category are L 1073, 1126, 1133, 1149, 1164, 1169, 1198, 1210/1, 1225, 1235, 1322/3, 1324, 1334, 1343, 1344, 1349, 1396/7, 1410, 1411, 1424, 1439, 1442. L 1365 is listed by Smith & Cosens as Sammons with the QHO & Wood, but the only copy that I've seen has Ellen Tuckfield (piano). L 1396/7 are with Sammons or Caterall playing the Coleridge-Taylor Sonata; has anybody ever seen either of these issues?
  Collecting these Columbias is like wading through a minefield - there are sometimes as many as 4 issues of the same artists with the same catalogue number.
Good hunting,
Chris