[78-L] Musical Mobsters

Dnjchi at aol.com Dnjchi at aol.com
Sat Apr 11 04:55:11 PDT 2009

In a message dated 4/11/2009 12:19:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
fnarf at comcast.net writes:

Al  Jolson
"Puttin' on the Ritz"
"Minnie the Moocher"

For the  Depression, I think kids would respond to "Single Girl, Married
Girl" by  the Carter Family. I know I do! 1927, but the Depression came
early
to  Appalachia. Also, any number of Jimmie Rodgers numbers -- "In the
Jailhouse  Now".

I'm sure the others will have much better selections than  mine.

A period piece is "Any Ice Today, Lady?" with Billy Murray and Aileen
Stanley.  It has a number of slang expressions of the day.

Don Chichester
recession.