[78-L] Mon Collecion incluye les 78s de Quebec!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Apr 10 20:06:47 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> At 17:25 10/04/2009, you wrote:
>>Another joy is finding the language crossover.
> >>Hearing about the Coasters in French and Mary Ann in Jamaican style is
>>great fun.
> The great thing about the Quebecois records is that they come from a
> culture/ 'distinct society' that is an enclave with anglo-phone North
> America. In the grand scheme of things the Quebecois are a minority,
> yet they actively embraced and modified American and English Canada's
> pop culture and made it their own.
> The releases are in small quantities, probably not well documented
> (where oh where will I ever find out about the Fleur de Lys record
> label!) , and a collector's treasure hunt!

The harsh reality is that virtually ALL 78rpm phonorecords of the late
fifties are virtually *UN*documented!! Quebecois records on Starr
are documented (I assume) since the ledgers still exist (rescued by
Jim Kidd) and are held by the "National Library"...however, in the
fifties, one could cut one's side(s) in any of a number of "for hire"
studios...and take the resulting matrices to an equal number of
"pressing plants" to get however many 78's one thought one could
sell!!

I doubt if the folks responsible EVER realized that, many decades
later, a body of "record collectors" and "discographers" would be
desperately seeking the data on these releases...?!

Steven C. Barr