[78-L] Recording levels

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Thu Apr 9 20:08:49 PDT 2009

Ken Matheson wrote:
> I would like to take a survey of people who make CDs, MP3s,
> other music files from, records, TV, DVDs, CDs, or other
> Media.
>
> 1. First, what audio level on your recording program do you use,
>     0, -3,-10db, etc.

I generally try to top out at -1 dB max. Of course some clicks or pops
on a 78 transfer will go over 0 dB, but since I'll be getting rid of
them anyway they're no loss!
> 2. About how many have you done, a rough guess will do.

Hundreds.
> 3. How into recording are you.

Depends on what you mean. Am I a professional? No, not at this time. Do
I transfer material between formats? Do I care about quality? Am I happy
when I have a good product go out the door? Yes, to all three. I've been
working with tape, records and such with the changes in technology since
the late 1950s. I'd say C, provisionally.

> A. Lightly, just for the car, orMP3 player, and no restoration.
> B. Medium, more critical, sometimes use .wav files, may run
>     an easy noise program.
> C. Audiophile, use big .wav files, use a good restoration program,
>      and must be close to CD quality.

Mal