[78-L] Recording levels

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Apr 9 20:12:24 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Matheson" <kenmath at yahoo.com>
>I would like to take a survey of people who make CDs, MP3s,
> other music files from, records, TV, DVDs, CDs, or other
> Media.
>
> 1. First, what audio level on your recording program do you use,
> 0, -3,-10db, etc.

Around Zero on the recorder's VU meter...
> 2. About how many have you done, a rough guess will do.

Several hundred onto r2r tape...and around a thousand onto cassette
(for playing "on the road!"

> 3. How into recording are you.
> A. Lightly, just for the car, orMP3 player, and no restoration.

Pretty well the above...I find that the sound of a 78rpm phonorecord
needs NO restoration other than what I can do mentally! I have spent
about 35 years listening to "78's" and like tapes or similar copies to
"sound like 78's!!"

Steven C. Barr