[78-L] Record collecting [was (no subject)]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Apr 5 20:06:25 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <Dnjchi at aol.com>
> In a message dated 4/3/2009 2:24:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk writes:
> A  related subject: when did record collecting, as opposed to record
> buying,  start?
>
> When, as a kid, someone gives you their records.

In my case, this involved a SET of eventualities, which all eventuated
around the same time...!

First,I "volunteered" to inherit my late father's 200-odd 78's!! Then I
started "nosing about" in the library of my "now alma mater",,,this
being Illinois State University...and discovered ADBD; since I am
an "information collector" than an "artifact collector" (One MUST
blame "Asperger's Syndrome"...a minor variant of autisM...!!) I
suddenly had a book which was CHOCK FULL of info on my
gazillions of78's!!

Finally, back in the early seventies, I was spending A LOT of
time at auction sales! A chap I barely knew bought a HUGE lot
of 78's...3 or 4 thousand at least...and he then offered me a
deal I couldn't refuse!! "You look through the whole bunch...
pull out anything that looks like I could easily sell it...and
take out ANYTHING you might want, within reason...!!

I really "lucked out"on that deal!! I wound up with BOTH
of the "Lang-Venuti All-Star" Melotones...15 or 20 NOS
blues Bluebirds...and probably 7 or 8 hundred nice discs
from the late twenties and early thirties!

When I moved to Canada (Toronto) in 1977...I met (the
now late) Jeff Healey for the first time...and started
attending CAPS meetings, which often had records
for sale CHEAP!!

I currently have about 55,000(+/-) 78's...in about five
hundred milk boxes...so I'm waiting for a visit from my
local constabulary, charged with "MIS-appropriation
of official dairy property?...! Although 80-90% of my
milk boxes are the OLD style (that is, they can hold
LP's, which to-day's milk boxes CAN'T!!)

So...all I want know is a copyof ANY and EVERY
78rpm phonorecord which I don't yet own...IS THAT
TOO MUCH TO ASK...?!?!

...stevenc