[78-L] (no subject)

Dnjchi at aol.com Dnjchi at aol.com
Fri Apr 3 13:07:05 PDT 2009

Perhaps the best signal that nostalgia was hitting the record
buyer/collector was the beginning of articles in magazines, i.e. Hobbies  Magazine.  First
came articles in the '30s for collectors of classical  records, then, in the
late '30s, Jim Walsh began writing for the pop collectors  of nostalgia, namely
the singers and comedians of the past generation(s).

Don Chichester

In a message dated 4/3/2009 2:58:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dlennick at sympatico.ca writes:

Mark L.  Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
> Stephen Davies wrote:
>>   Writing in a philosophical mood, and knowing that  there can be
>> only speculation, without an absolute  answer....  Recorded immortality
>> hand in hand with  mortality.
>>
>>         I was  wondering about how TV kicked into high gear in the 1950's,
>> and  the late nights were filled with old movies, even some silents....
How
>> the TV audience at some point in time (1958, 1959, 1960....?)  would
>> realize that many of these early actors were now  dead.  Any ghoulish
>> feeling might be mixed with an  engrossing plotline and/or a blossoming
>> sense of camp based on  the style and foibles of previous generations.  (I
>> don't  think people were mislabelling it "Nostalgia"  yet.)
>>
>>         So was there a  similar watershed moment in the history of 78's,
>> when people  realized that the majority of recorded sound belonged to
>> deceased  personalities?  Or was the 78 rpm era based always on new songs,

>> new styles without any retrospective similar to the TV  programming and no
>> sentimental  prickings?
>>
>>         There  seems to be a great sense of addressing posterity in the
>> earliest  Edison recordings.  At some point, recorded sound became so
>>  common that it was just a consumeable moment rather than a historic
event.
>>  When did discs regain the status of  being a  legacy?  I presume the
>> answer depends on what genre of  recording is being considered:
classical,
>> popular, spoken  word...
>>
> Interesting thought.
> I was  just considering this myself in a way.
> When the acoustical era was in  full swing, what were the "old standards"?
> What is lost to us and  seems so corny-campy now!
> Steven Foster
> Old Vaudeville  tunes
> Operettas and their stars long forgotten...
>
> No  Carmichael
> No Miller
> No Rogers
> No Kiss Me Kate
>
> Is this music corny-campy to our kids? I  suppose...

recession.