[78-L] Record collecting [was (no subject)]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Apr 5 21:41:21 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>
> At 02:33 PM 4/3/2009, you wrote:
>>In a message dated 4/3/2009 2:24:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>>julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk writes:
>>
>>A  related subject: when did record collecting, as opposed to record
>>buying,  start?
>>When, as a kid, someone gives you their records.
>>

> I don't know they exact year when people started collecting records
> as opposed to buying them. Whats the difference between a record
> collector & a record buyer anyway? The fact that a record collector
> takes good to excellent care of whatever records he (or she) has in
> their collection? Or is it something else?
>
> I started buying records when I was 16 (1975) & became a collector at
> pretty much the same time as I found the record collector shops in
> Houston Texas fairly quickly. Instead of chasing girls I was spending
> good money on records at the collector shops instead!! Didn't start
> dating until I was 18 & out of high school. What is it about women &
> records? Very few are collectors & the ones I've met (except one
> female collector I know) find the hunt for records very boring.....

When one is a "record COLLECTOR," one is interested in
ALL the data on a given phonorecord!! As well,a COLLECTOR
will happily buy an "obsolete" record if for no other reason to
have a "COMPLETE" set of the recordings made by the
target party...!

The question you pose above is one about which I know SFA!!

Somewhere back in the ur-history of the evolution of Homo
Sapiens...the MALES (who probably saved ANYTHING
which could serve as a weapon...?!) split with the females
(who qualified "found objects" according to whether they
could (1) become edible, or (2) could improve the abode...?!)

As a result, XXI-Jahrhundert males LOVE to collect stuff...
and then put these "collections" on display! This relates to
the existence of a "dominance hierarchy" in Homo Sapiens
as a primate...so that one human can proudly announce!,
*I* have more of *MY* goal reached than YOU do...SO
THERE!! Nyah-nyah-na-na-nyah-nyah!!

Howsomever,I should also point out that I suffer from
"Asperger's Syndrome"...a mild form of autism...and THIS
means that I am a "INFORMATION PACK RAT!!"

This means that what I ACTUALLY seek is the complete
set of data concerning EVERY 78rpm phonorecord EVER
pressed!!

...stevenc