[78-L] Keeping favorite records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Apr 5 18:20:41 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Aaron Hunter wrote:
>> I still have my Golden Records from about 1950, though I don't listen to
>> them as much anymore.
> I should hope so!!  The Young People's Records/Children's Record Guild
> records are so much more progressive.
>>   My mother told me I used to have a Three Little Kittens record but she
>> threw it out because I wore it out.  She probably got tired of me playing
>> it over and over and over again.
> Go to the website of the Kiddie Record King, Peter Muldavin.
> http://www.kiddierekordking.com/   You might also want to buy his book.
> There also are two recent books about the childrens record industry of
> the 40s-50s, Revolutionizing Children's Records by David Bonner, and
> Rudolph, Frosty, and Captain Kangaroo by Judy Krasnow.
>>  The record player was of the same vintage, electric motor but acoustic
>> playback.  I actually wore out the bushing in the motor and my mother
>> made me throw it away.  Are you supposed to change the needle?
> If they were regular steel needles, you were supposed to change them
> after every play unless they were special long lasting tapered needles.
>>  Didn't know and didn't have any to exchange which also probably helped
>> for the demise of my favorite record.
 >> Plastic records would die on these players no matter what you did.
>> When I got my first windup, VV-XI, I tried to play a LP on it.  Actually
>> able to slow the Victrola down enough, but the record never sounded the
>> same again.  I guess 6 ounces (170 grams)is just too much for vinal.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

When I was about 3 (or so) I was allowed to play my father's 78's (which I
finally
inherited, forming the "nucleus" of my present shellac archive!!) on our RCA
Victor
console radio/phono...! My favourites were: the Mills Bros. "Good-Bye
Blues,"
The Decca reissue of the Boswell Sisters, Russ Morgan's "Wabash Blues"...
and,of course, the original "Three Little Fishies!" Oh...Lombardo's"The
Broken
Record"...TD's "Marie"...and a very few I can no longer bring to mind...?!

...stevenc