[78-L] Keeping favorite records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Apr 5 17:53:29 PDT 2009

Aaron Hunter wrote:
> I still have my Golden Records from about 1950, though I don't listen to them as much anymore.

I should hope so!!  The Young People's Records/Children's Record Guild
records are so much more progressive.

>   My mother told me I used to have a Three Little Kittens record but she threw it out because I wore it out.  She probably got tired of me playing it over and over and over again.

Go to the website of the Kiddie Record King, Peter Muldavin.
http://www.kiddierekordking.com/   You might also want to buy his book.
There also are two recent books about the childrens record industry of
the 40s-50s, Revolutionizing Children's Records by David Bonner, and
Rudolph, Frosty, and Captain Kangaroo by Judy Krasnow.

>  The record player was of the same vintage, electric motor but acoustic playback.  I actually wore out the bushing in the motor and my mother made me throw it away.  Are you supposed to change the needle?

If they were regular steel needles, you were supposed to change them
after every play unless they were special long lasting tapered needles.

>  Didn't know and didn't have any to exchange which also probably helped for the demise of my favorite record.

Plastic records would die on these players no matter what you did.
> When I got my first windup, VV-XI, I tried to play a LP on it.  Actually able to slow the Victrola down enough, but the record never sounded the same again.  I guess 6 ounces (170 grams)is just too much for vinal.
>
> Aaron

Especially for vinyl, but for pretty much everything else eventually.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com