[78-L] Who was the first . . .

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 4 07:51:37 PDT 2009

Met Gene Krupa at a concert shortly before his death in 1973; then Benny
Goodman at a concert the following year, with Bobby Hackett & Al Klink - all
of whom I spoke to briefly and got autographs from.  But the first
monumental event for me was the Jean Goldkette Carnegie Hall Concert in 1975
- hung around the stage door and chatted with Joe Venuti, Bill Challis,
Spiegle Willcox, Doc Ryker, Chauncey Morehouse, think Paul Mertz, too -
asked them to autograph their pictures in my copy of BIX-MAN AND LEGEND,
which they all graciously complied. A real group of gentlemen!  I kept
pinching myself to believe I was in the company of all these guys who
recorded with Bix in 1927!

Dave W.

krabgrass at aol.com wrote:

> person you met who recorded on 78 rpm records. Do you remember who, when,
where and does it remain an important experience in your life?