[78-L] Who was the first . . .

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Apr 4 12:57:53 PDT 2009

The first 78 artist I knew was my Dad,  who played lead alto on four tracks
recorded for the Morrison label here in Seattle by Frankie Roth and his
Orchestra in 1949,  issued on two "splatter wax" 78s.   I think they were
mostly meant for local juke box trade,  but I have been able to turn up
copies over the years,  and am always hoping to find more.

The first one is 12th Street Rag b/w Put Your Shoes On,  Lucy.    The latter
has a vocal by one "Woody Woodberry" whom my Dad recalled as being up here
from LA for some gig.  I assume this is the same guy who later made a whole
slug of comedy records and later hosted Who Do You Trust (post-Carson) on
TV.

The second one is a terrific version of Rose Room b/w a Medley of When Day
Is Done, Stumbling,  and Mama's Gone,  Goodbye.

They were recorded in a teeny-tiny studio near the U of Washington, which
was so small that drummer Lee Naylor couldn't set up even half his kit.
Despite the cramped setting,  the band sounds great,  esp. on Rose Room.

If anyone has copies of these they'd let go,  I would appreciate it.

Taylor B