[78-L] Muzak is 75

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Tue Mar 31 12:49:38 PDT 2009

--
Precisely. Background music is, no less, an art form, than foreground music.
It demands a good hand to handle it. It's raison d'être is to be perceived
subliminally, like lightning in a staged play or, for that matter, film
scores.
Muzak's Richard L Cardinell knew this and perfected the company's
programmes, in accordance with studies made by the Darmouth University: "The
worker should be no more aware of the music than of good lightning. The
rhythms, reaching him subconsciously, create a feeling of well-being and
eliminate strain."
Like it or not: this helped the US to win the war...
So it's a bit odd to see assorted complaints about "too loud piped music"
under the "Muzak is 75" heading...
On the other hand: this is also where the generation gap comes in: the "far
too loud" music in supermarkets and restaurants is not perceived as such by
young adults - who ARE the target audience in most places, not you and I.
For them it works as it should. The market is always right, isn't it?
Kristjan