[78-L] Happy memories of Muzak

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Mar 31 13:46:54 PDT 2009

Back in the 60s when I was in my early and mid-teens,  one of the local
hang-outs here in Seattle was a place called Burgermaster...a drive in which
still had car-hops to bring you the meal.  Teens and adults liked to go
there,  but the music on the sound system (piped outside) was of a very
adult nature.

I can still recall one evening when I was greatly entertained by a long run
of classic pop tunes  played by a band which sounded just like a modern
version of Hal Kemp's...muted clipped brass,  clarinets played into
megaphones,  etc.  It was great,  esp. for a budding collector like me who
couldn't get enough of the classic dance band sounds.

BTW this would also have been around the time when Kenny G (real name Kenny
Gorlick) was an up-and-coming jazz player,  attending Franklin High School
here in Seattle.  He actually studied his horn with the same guy my Dad had
taken lessons from in the 30s,  and played in every manner of rock,  stage,
pep,  etc. band he could find.   This was long before he found the formula
by which he made himself rich and by which he tortures our ears to this very
day.

Taylor B