[78-L] So Tired

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Mar 22 14:50:54 PDT 2009

Royal,  the record is remarkable.  I was first tipped to it years ago by a
fellow member of our 78 group who said before he played it for me: "You
won't believe this when you hear it."  He was right.  I was delighted to
find my own copy a few years later.  Not that it's so bad that it's
good...it's just...so bad!  BTW said friend's wife is generally a big fan of
vintage music but she will not allow him to play that record,  even for
laughs,  while she is in the house!

As far as who or what was tired...I would say it was a combination of band,
studio,  engineer,  song, etc.  Oh...and as is so typical of the prestigious
Broadway pressings,  it sounds like you're playing a round hunk of cement.

Let me say again that the song is part of the problem...as I recall it's
co-composed by Bert Lown and maybe some band members.  The Lown record is
dreary,  as is the version I have on Romeo by Vic Irwin...but none of the
other versions can match the Sig Heller for absolute multi-faceted
bottom-of-the-barrel.

Taylor B