[78-L] Who's still with us?

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 22:05:21 PDT 2009

You know, I'm not aware of *any* name recording stars from the 1920s who are still
among the living--Banjo Buddy and Davey Lee left us in 2008, and they were two of the
last people who actually had their names on a 20s record (though there's always a chance
of sidemen or studio musicians from that time still being around, I guess). I read on the
Bix Beiderbecke message board that one member of "Wynken, Blynken and Nod"--the
vocal group on Jean Goldkette's "Ya Comin' Up Tonight, Huh?"--was still alive, though
she was past 100 a couple of years ago. Haven't heard anything since.

There are a handful from the 30s, albeit more from the latter part of the decade than
the earlier...Patty Andrews, Tony Martin, Lena Horne, Vera Lynn, Bea Wain, Deanna
Durbin, Danielle Darriueux (she made quite a few French Polydor sides in the 30s), and
child performers Sybil Jason and Bobby Breen, both of whom were on Decca in the
mid/late 30s. Kay Starr had a Glenn Miller session in 1939, I think, and she's still
around.

There are a couple of people whose status I haven't confirmed: Evelyn Dall was a
singer with Ambrose in the mid-30s and she may still be alive. Durrelle Alexander,
a Paul Whiteman singer of the 1934-36 period, may also still be around.

I hope others can add to the list!

-Harold