[78-L] sound quality (was almost mp3, and OTR but started as Fw: Limited edition Miller)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 19 22:44:32 PDT 2009

Nothing wrong with DAT. I've been using it since 1992 and have had remarkably
few failures, except when I used recycled DATs from other sources and hadn't
learned about bulk erasing them. Even material I recorded at 32k "archive
speed" (which I used for material of limited frequency range) plays back fine
on the Tascam DA-30.

As for concerns for sound quality, HA! You should hear the crap put on the air
by Toronto's major news station, CFTR. Their reporters (who evidently are
required to use the cellphones marketed by the parent company, Rogers) do
interviews which sound like a short wave receiver being played in a bathtub.
Remember Bob & Ray's "World News Roundup"? That was more intelligible.

dl